The European Epitranscriptomic Network, EPITRAN, was launched on May 1rst 2017 and for duration of 4 years. It gathers participants from multiple countries and aims at fostering the development of the emerging field of epitranscriptomics in Europe. (For more details please go to: http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA16120).
With the Training Course on Epitranscriptomics and the European Epitranscriptomics Week, both organised in the frame of the EU-funded COST program, the EPITRAN COST Action offers advanced training courses and practical sessions on epitranscriptomics and the methods of RNA epitranscriptomic analysis.
Training School on Epitranscriptomics:
“NGS-based methods to study RNA modifications”
EPITRAN training school on Epitranscriptomics aims at transferring know-how from core Epitran laboratories to PhD students, post-docs, and principal investigators. This includes transferring “wet-lab” expertise to study all aspects of RNA modifications (mapping, functional analysis etc.), as well as bioinfomatics.
After a first successful edition held on February 2018, the NGS Core Facility together with I. Motorine (UMR7365 IMoPA) and M. Helm (Mainz university, Helm’s lab) have organized the second training school “NGS and Epitranscriptomics” in the frame of the COST Epitran (European Cooperation for Science and Technology) on February 2019.
During this last 2019 edition, the training in english was followed by 12 students (phD students and postdocs) and 4 young PIs coming from across Europe. During 4 days, participants have been initiated to practical as well as theoritical aspects of a new booming field : Epitranscriptomics. The participants have learned key concepts in different fields (molecular biology, next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics) allowing them to carry out a project to identify and quantify post-transcriptional modifications of RNA by high-throughput sequencing.
Four internationally renowned speakers have been invited to share and discuss their current research in this field :
- Pr Mark HELM (Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany) : “Analysis of RNA modifications by LC-MS”
- Dr Jean-Yves ROIGNANT (Molecular Biology Institute, Mainz, Germany) : “RNA modifications and brain function”
- Pr Denis LAFONTAINE (Brussels University, Gosselies, Belgium) : “Eukaryotic ribosomal RNA modification, an overview”
- Dr Francesca TUORTO (DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany) : “Detection of m5C in RNA by bisulfite sequencing”
Where: Biopôle, Lorraine University, Nancy, France
When: 11-14 February (2019 edition)
- Pr. Yuri MOTORIN (IMoPA, Lorraine University, FRANCE)
- Pr. Mark HELM (Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Germany)
- Dr. Virginie MARCHAND (UMS2008 IBSLor, Lorraine University, FRANCE)
- Dr. Francesca TUORTO (DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany)
Participants: PhD students, PostDocs and young scientists from COST partner institutions
Pictures are available here: https://epitran.eu/gallery/
European Epitranscriptomic Week
During the European Epitranscriptomic week, Master’s 2 and young PhD students have the chance to learn more about RNA modifications following university level lectures, scientific seminars and discussions with internationally renowned researchers of the field. First held in 2017, this event takes place every year in Nancy, France, and is organized by Pr. Youri Motorin (UMR7365 IMoPA and UMS2008 IBSLor) in the framework of the International Master M2 RNAES.
Where: Biopôle (room 1A10 – 1st floor), Lorraine University, Nancy, France
When: 16-20 September 2019
- Dr. Clément CARRE (IBS, Paris, FRANCE)
“2′-O-methylation (Nm) modulates RNA silencing and locomotory behavior in Drosophila”, Monday, September 16, 2019, 10:00-12:00
- Dr. Francesca TUORTO (DKFZ, Heidelberg, GERMANY)
“tRNA modifications and nutritional control of protein translation”, Monday, September 16, 14: 00-16:00
- Prof. Mark HELM (Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, GERMANY)
“Detection and Identification of m1A, m1G and m2.2G based on their RT signatures”, Wednesday, September 18, 10.30-12.00
- Dr. Stefano MARZI (IBMC, Strasbourg, France)
“RNA modification in pathogenic bacteria S.aureus”, Thursday, September 19,
14: 00-16: 00
- Prof. Christoph DIETERICH (Institute for Computational Computational Cardiology, Heidelberg, GERMANY)
“RNA modification detection from Illumina and Nanopore sequencing data” Friday, September 20, 10:00-12:00
Participants: open to all
When: 17-22 September 2018
- Pr Yuri MOTORIN (IMoPA, Lorraine, University, FRANCE)
- Pr Mark HELM (Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Germany)
- Dr Jean-Yves ROIGNANT (Institute of Molecular Biology, Mainz, Germany)
- Dr Francesca TUORTO (DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany)
- Pr Alessandro QUATTRONE (Centre for Integrative Biology, University of Trento, Italy)
- Pr Denis LAFONTAINE (RNA Molecular Biology, IBMM – Brussels University, ULB, Belgium)
- Dr Christiane ZORBAS (RNA Molecular Biology, IBMM – Brussels University, ULB, Belgium)
Participants: M2 students level/ RNAES M2 International Master, young PhD students
Watch out Www.Epitran.Eu for future dates.