Dominique Gagliardi received a PhD in Molecular Biology & Biochemistry from the University of Lyon in 1994. His PhD project was supervised by Prof C Dumas at Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon. During his post-doctoral training in the laboratory of Prof CJ Leaver at the University of Oxford, DG established that degradation of plant mitochondrial mRNAs is triggered by polyadenylation. Following his recruitment at CNRS in 2000, DG pursued the study of plant RNA degradation at IBMP-CNRS in Strasbourg, France. DG’s “RNA degradation” team explores the links between RNA modifications and decay in plants. The team’s projects are developed by three CNRS researchers, Hélène Zuber, Heike Lange and Damien Garcia, who focus on tailing (adenylation, uridylation) or base modifications of plant or viral RNAs.
– Topics: uridylation, non-canonical polyadenylation, RNA exosome and co-factors, plant endo- and exo-ribonucleases, TUTases, poly(A) polymerases, viral infections, plant rRNA processing.
– Methodologies: High-throughput sequencing technologies to study RNA tailing and poly(A) tail length, forward and reverse genetics, identification of protein complexes by co-purification and mass spectrometry, plant cell imaging.
– Model organism: Arabidopsis thaliana
– Sikorska N, Zuber H, Gobert A, Lange H and Gagliardi D (2017) RNA degradation by the plant RNA exosome involves both phosphorolytic and hydrolytic activities. Nat Comm 8: 2162 doi:10.1038/s41467-017-02066-2
– De Almeida C, Scheer H, Zuber H and Gagliardi D (2017) RNA uridylation: a key post-transcriptional modification shaping the coding and non-coding transcriptome. WIREs RNA. doi: 10.1002/wrna.1440.
– Zuber H, Scheer H, Ferrier E, Sement FM, Mercier P, Stupfler B and Gagliardi D (2016) Uridylation and PABP cooperate to repair mRNA deadenylated ends in Arabidopsis. Cell Rep 14:2707-2717. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.02.060.
– Scheer H, Zuber H, De Almeida C and Gagliardi D (2016) Uridylation earmarks mRNAs for degradation… and more. Trends Genet 32:607-619. doi: 10.1016/j.tig.2016.08.003.
– Hématy K, Bellec Y, Podicheti R, Bouteiller N, Anne P, Morineau C, Haslam RP, Beaudoin F, Napier JA, Mockaitis K, Gagliardi D, Vaucheret H, Lange H, Faure JD. (2016) The zinc-finger protein SOP1 is required for a subset of the nuclear exosome functions in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genet 12:e1005817. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005817.
– Branscheid A, Marchais A, Schott G, Lange H, Gagliardi D, Andersen SU, Voinnet O and Brodersen P. (2015) SKI2 mediates degradation of RISC 5’-cleavage fragments and prevents secondary siRNA production from miRNA targets in Arabidopsis. Nucleic Acids Res 43:10975-10988. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkv1014.
– Sikorski P, Zuber H, Philippe L, Sement FM, Canaday, J, Kufel J, Gagliardi D and Lange H. (2015) Distinct 18S rRNA precursors are targets of the exosome complex the exoribonuclease RRP6L2 and the terminal nucleotidyltransferase TRL in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J 83:991-1004. doi: 10.1111/tpj.12943.
– Lange H, Zuber H, Sement FM, Chicher J, Kuhn L, Hammann P, Brunaud V, Bérard C, Bouteiller N, Balzergue S, Aubourg S, Martin-Magniette ML, Vaucheret H and Gagliardi D (2014) The RNA Helicases AtMTR4 and HEN2 target specific subsets of nuclear transcripts for degradation by the nuclear exosome in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genet 10(8):e1004564. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1004564.
– Sement FM and Gagliardi D (2014) Detection of uridylated mRNAs. Meth Mol Biol 1125:43-51. doi: 10.1007/978-1-62703-971-0_4.
– Sement FM, Ferrier E, Zuber H, Merret R, Alioua A, Deragon JM, Bousquet-Antonelli C, Lange H, Gagliardi D (2013). Uridylation prevents 3’ trimming of deadenylated mRNAs. Nucleic Acids Res 41:7115-7127. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt465.